Is the recession hitting you pretty hard in the ol’ pocketbook? Don’t fret—you live in the second biggest city in America, after all. Save your pennies by engaging in the following fun activities, which of course, you can only find out by checking after the jump!
- Gawk at celebrities: Show up to movie premiers at the Arclight or just join the crowd that collects in front of an awards show (the Oscars, which takes place at Hollywood’s Kodak Theater, is a great place for some A-list star stalking). Just don’t try to give anyone your screenplay.
- Go to the library: It’s not just for nerds anymore! L.A. has one of the best library systems in the country. You can check out hundreds of thousands of books, albums and movies for free…so milk that system, baby! Film buffs should pay close attention to the newly constructed Silverlake branch, as it has a collection rivaled in scope only by Netflix.
- Walk around downtown: It’s the heart of the city and chock-full of historical significance. Marvel at the art deco architecture, peruse the swap meets and absorb some culture at the Museum of Contemporary Art (on Thursday nights, of course—that’s when admission is free).
- Hike up to the Griffith Observatory: Admission to the observatory itself is free, and the challenging hike up Mount Hollywood will make you feel like a health nut. The view’s pretty spectacular as well.
- Get something for free off of Craigslist: One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, right? Nowhere is this more evident than in the free section of Los Angeles’ Craigslist. TVs, furniture, electronics and more tchotchkes than you can shake a stick at are routinely given away here, so make sure you claim ‘em early, though, because these freebies go fast.