5 Famous Fictional Presidents
Happy President’s Day! In honor of the federal holiday, let’s move away from the often boring historical record and peruse a list of some of the best ersatz executives in chief:
- President Stillson from Dead Zone (Martin Sheen). One of our future leaders who, (spoiler alert!) never makes it past the primaries in this film adaptation of the Stephen King novel. We do get a glimpse of what his administration would have accomplished. (Stephen King supposedly refers to Sarah Palin as Stillson when he sees her on television.)
- The president in Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns. An obvious parody of Ronald Reagan, he’s got national problems that make trillion-dollar deficits look like fun. He does have Superman working for him, though. Plus, Batman comes out of retirement, the Joker and mutants!
- Tom Beck (Morgan Freeman) in Deep Impact. When Earth faces destruction, the commanding voice and presence of Morgan Freeman is exactly what we need. (Along with Robert Duvall.)
- E.G. Marshall, President in Superman 2. Kneel before Zod? I don’t think so.
- The automated president in Firesign Theatre’s I Think We’re All Bozos on This Bus. Based on Richard Nixon, I expect we’ll see real Oval Office administrative software soon. (No need to play “Hail to the Chief.”)