Want to throw an amazing Halloween party based on your favorite pop video?
Check out our fierce and fun party ideas that will make your guests rock their “Super Bass” like Nicki Minaj, getting down cornhuskin’ mermaid style like Lady Gaga in “You And I,” dousing each other in “Champagne Showers” like LMFAO, and always wishing it was “Last Friday Night” like Katy Perry.
“Super Bass”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Nicki Minaj[/lastfm]
Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass” video is all about pretty pastels juxtaposed with rough edges (like motorcycles and Doc Martens), white backgrounds, and black lights.
Super easy if you are minimalist with a penchant for splashes of bright color and you want to infuse your pop music with some pop art.
Here are some things you might use for a “Super Bass” themed Halloween party.
- Different colored cotton candy for that wispy effect in the video. Get a cotton candy maker and create your own with guests!
- Glow-In-The Dark necklaces
- Rock Candy in different colors (to simulate the look of the ice). Use the sticks like you would a floral arrangement.
In the video, Minaj drinks a Pepto Bismal looking cocktail–and even swims around in a pool of it! Get that same drink with this recipe. Take out the alcohol for a less “inebriated” night.
1 oz cream
1 oz triple sec
1 oz raspberry vodka
1/2 oz grenadine
Shake and strain into an ice cold martini glass. For a brighter color, use pink food coloring!
“You and I” -[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Lady Gaga[/lastfm]
Lady Gaga’s “You and I” video has tons of imagery to play on–corn fields, mermaids, and muddy stilettos.
Here are some thing you might need:
- Make little “muddy” chocolate stilettos with these high-heel chocolate molds.
- Pop little Yuyi mermaids in your mouth. Serve sushi rolls covered in tempura shrimp–tail on.
- Sweet and spicy popcorn inspired by the cornfields–and Gaga’s sweet and spicy personality!
- Throw on some red lipstick and kiss your cocktail napkins.
For the adults at the party, make a sweet cherry-flavored whiskey drink going off the lyrics “you taste like whiskey when you kiss me oh.”
“Last Friday Night”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Katy Perry[/lastfm]
A Katy Perry “Last Friday Night” party is sort of a quirky take on an ’80s party. Set up a dance video games, lots of streamers, and tables full of brightly colored rainbow candy.
Here are some things you might need:
- Neon-colored virgin jello shots with sour patch kids inside. Fun, chewy, and a sugary way to cut lose sans booze!
- Rainbow colored candy like dots and nerds. Get it? ‘Cuz Kathy Beth Terry is a nerd?
- Funfetti cupcakes! Cute!
- Spray cheese! You can use it like edible silly string. Just be careful not to get it all over awesome stuff.
- Serve a chunky “punch” from a plastic-bagged lined roller skate.
For the over 21’ers, the Double Rainbow cocktail is bright and intoxicating! Just…stay away from the Roller Skate punch after a couple!
The Double Rainbow
by Camper English
1 ounce vodka
1 ounce St. Germain elderflower liqueur
4 or so ounces of soda water
4 dashes of grapefruit bitters
lemon peel for garnish
rainbow ice cubes
Make rainbow ice by adding food coloring to an ice cube tray, filling with water and freezing.
Cut lemon peel into stars. Add all ingredients to a glass filled with ice in rainbow order (two cubes per color, making it a double complete rainbow). Garnish with lemon stars.
“Champagne Showers”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]LMFAO[/lastfm]
For an LMFAO-themed party, really all you need is a lot of shots, animal print, gold chains, bare chests, and champagne. Champagne showers, that is!
- Animal print cake with “Sorry For Party Rockin”‘ written in edible gold paint
- Gold chocolate truffles. The more gold, the better!
- Champagne fountain?
- Popcorn “chains” dusted in edible gold.
Going with the Natalia Kills vampire theme in the video, you can make “clotted blood” rimmed cocktails.
Just add 1 1/4 ounce of absinthe to an absinthe cup and top with Tru Blood. Just the right bite to mask the caffeine that powers you through until the first light of dawn.
To complete the look add a little blood to your glass. The blood rim is made from the same kind of mixture as you use to make hard candy. It’s actually pretty easy, but you will need a candy thermometer (which you can find at most grocery stores).
* 1 c. Sugar
* 1/2 c. Karo Syrup
* 1/2 c. Water
* Red Food Coloring
* Cinnamon (optional)
Combine sugar, syrup and water. Cook without stirring to hard crack stage – which is 300 degrees F. Add food coloring. (Optional: Cinnamon may be added for flavor.)
Turn off heat. While the mixture is still hot, dunk the top of the cocktail glass into the mixture to create the red rim. If you need to do several glasses, keep the mixture hot so it lasts longer (instead of turning heat off, just reduce slightly).You can go anywhere from just along the very tip of the rim to part way down the glass – whichever you prefer. Flip the glass right side up to cool. The thick consistency of the mixture will cause “drips” as it hardens on the glass!
- Whatever you do this Halloween, have fun and make sure you stay safe! If you drink, don’t drive. Call a cab or crash on the couch of a friend you trust. Don’t leave you drink unattended and don’t ever take candy from strangers!