By Caitlyn Trudnich
When the sun is out, women are challenged with difficult decisions while getting ready for the day, such as, “Should I wear my hair up? Or down?”
Ah yes, one could go crazy with contemplating the many options and trends for their tresses.
But never to fear, AMP Radio has you covered on the best no-fuss summer hair styles–perfect for a fresh look all day long!
Tie The (Top) Knot
When you’re looking for a quick, no-fuss look to tame your tresses, the tried and true go-to is the top knot. Whether you’re looking to be chic and sleek, or whimsical and girlie, the top knot is perfect and easy to create. J.Lo loves this look for the red carpet, too.
1. Use a boar’s hair bristle brush to smoothly gather your hair into a high pony atop your head, using a ponytail holder. If you’re looking for a sleeker look, spray a bit of water or light hairspray for a tight hold.
2. For a touch of volume, lightly backcomb your pony with your boar’s hair brush.
3. Wrap around hair to create your desired bun style.
4. Use bobby pins to secure bun to your head.
5. Spray hair with a firm-hold hairspray to keep fly-aways in place.
Not Just For Mermaids
The fishtail braid its like the french braid’s quirky cousin. It may take a bit more practice, but the look is totally worth it. Plus, you’ll get tons of compliments on your ‘do, while also keeping your hair in place and out of your face.
1. Gather your hair to one side of the nape of your neck, and split into two separate pieces. A good tip is to secure into a pony with a clear elastic band when starting your braid.
2. Take a piece form the first side, and pass it to the second side.
3. Take a piece from the second side, and pass it back to the first side.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3, until you’ve reached the end of your braid.
5. Once you’ve finished your braid, carefully cut your clear elastic band, making sure you don’t chop off any hair in the process!
Pump Up The Pony
A pony tail is perfect for summer. The great thing about a pony is that it’s style is so versatile – you can’t mess up this easy look. This summer, try a pony with lots of volume, giving you that salon quality style that’s actually quite easy to achieve!
1. Spray the roots of your locks with a smoothing spray or light-hold hairspray.
2. Using a boar’s hair bristle brush, smoothly gather your hair into a pony high upon your head, and secure with a ponytail holder.
3. Using a comb, gently backcomb your pony, starting with the hair nearest the pony tail holder.
4. Pull pony outwards, and spray with strong-hold hairspray to lock in style.
5. For a fun, retro look – use a 1 inch curling iron or smaller and flip the ends of your pony upwards.
When it’s really hot outside, sometimes the best way to style your hair it by putting it all up. A super-cute way to do this is by creating a dutch braid. This trendy hair style has been worn on several occasions by Nicole Richie and Katy Perry.
1. Start by parting hair down the middle. Take a large subsection, and split it into three smaller sections, holding them with your fingers.
2. Twist the outside section into the center on both sides.
3. Then, begin to pick up hair and twist it into the braid, repeating this step. Twisting the outside strands in gives the braid a more three-dimensional, full look. Finish the braid at the nape of the neck, using a clear elastic band.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 on the opposite side of your head, creating two dutch braids.
5. The next step is up to you! You can twist the remaining hair together into a loose bun, or pin the ends against each other, creating more of a crown look!
This super-easy summer hair style is perfect for transitioning from a day at the beach to a party at night! A natural look that with a few products and tricks, will look polished all day!
1. Apply a small amount of a light pomade or styling paste to the roots of your hair and massage it in.
2. From there, your hair should have a piecey texture, making it easier to chose which pieces to curl and wave. Take a 1-inch barrel curling iron and alternate by wrapping some pieces around the barrel, and using the clamp for others – leaving the ends of your hair untouched.
3. Finish lightly with a smoothing serum or hair oil.