by Sasha Huff
So this exists. Yup. Green Eggs & Ham Doughnuts are a real thing, you can get them in Costa Mesa (and in Santa Monica soon as well! Stay close to their social pages for more info on that one.) at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee, along with a bunch of other crazy flavors that we are going to talk about because #FOOD.
Anytime we come across an insane menu item, we have to share it with our loyal readers, so let’s just get to it before our stomach growling wakes the neighbors.
They have both daily flavors and monthly specials, and we’re gonna go ahead and highlight some that have made us say ‘huh?’ (in the best way possible)
1) Green Eggs & Ham – Obvi we are starting with the one that first caught our attention. It’s a savory doughnut filled with a poached egg, ham and hollandaise sauce. Can we have this every day for breakfast? kthanksbye.
2) Butter & Salt – These are two things that we believe should be on everything, so if there is a doughnut that is NAMED this, then we are in. It’s a vanilla bean cake with brown butter glaze and fleur de sel (and also our heart. It has hour heart).
3) Bananas Foster – This is an old school treat with a Sidecar twist and we’re going to snuggle up with a cup of coffee and nap with this one. Fresh bananas roasted in brown and muscavado sugars, dark rum and creme de banana. It’s finished with roasted banana cream and banana dust which we’ve never heard of before but now we want to powder our faces with it.
4) Blood Orange – Citrus doughnuts are always good, but the candy flavored deliciousness of a blood oragnge put into a doughnut is perfection. This one is topped with a blood orange glaze and a candied slice of the fruit and we think it’s almost too beautiful to eat.
5) Maple Bacon – You’ve probably seen this flavor combo many times before, but let’s face it, it’s ALWAYS a good choice, and leaving it off our list when it’s on a menu seems offensive.
Sidecar Doughnuts is located at 270 E. 17th Street in Costa Mesa and open every day from 6:30am to 4:00pm. Open late on Fridays and Saturdays until 9:00pm!